Matt Miller, owner of New Era Scouting, will update you on the world of college and NFL football here with news and opinions.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Extra Points....

Just a quick hit today, as I'm in the process of moving and finding that my time is pretty limited. We also have our first week of football camp for Missouri High Schools this week, and I'm coaching at a new school, so there's more time away from the PC.

We got a lot of comments about the QB rankings (ok, three), but I thought I'd address those.

- Michael Vick might have the strongest arm as far as dropping back and throwing the football, but he loses so much in force. Vick isn't as strong as Russell in the ability to force a ball into a tight spot. Russell may rival Elway for having the best "fastball" I've seen. This doesn't mean I think he's going to be a good QB, because I don't.

- McNabb should not be among the top in every category. When he doesn't choke in the Super Bowl, I'll call him clutch. He also lost three straight NFC Championship Games, people. Blame the running game or the defense, the quarterback takes the loss every time unless something amazing like a dropped pass happens in the wide-open endzone.

- How is Matt Leinart clutch you ask? The kid really turned it on the last half of the season and was winning close games and making big throws. There is a lot of projection to the clutch list, with Vince Young also being on it, but these two rooks really came in and impressed me.

- For those of you expecting to see the tight ends today, I'm hoping to get my notes together for a post tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Vick's defense, he does throw one hell of a nice looking ball. It doesn't matter much because he tries to throw everything through his receivers bodies most of the time, making his passes hard to handle, but there aren't too many QB's with a smoother looking release than Vick in my opinion. On the flip side, Drew Stanton throws one of the ugliest balls I've seen in a while (save Tyler Palko). Kickers get more of a spiral rotation on field goals.

Looking forward to the tight ends. Don't forget to mention the next great tight end, Benjamin Troupe. And you thought the founder of Wendy's was good at saving VY's butt? Troupe is a stud.

June 6, 2007 at 11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the fact that you took on-board the suggestion to highlight current examples for each scouting point...

...so would it be churlish to ask if you'd provide historical totems for each aspect as well? And, to extend it, players that you think are busts and assign them to specific areas as to where they fell too short to become really good (or great) NFL players?

Hey, it's a blog right? And it's all about give-and-take, right?! ;|

Love your site!

Richard

June 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home